Sunday, January 31, 2016

Galaxy S5 (AT&T) Won't Power On - Tried Multiple Good Batteries - Tried 3 Button

Asking for a second opinion before pronouncing the patient dead.

Last night my wife handed me her Galaxy S5 and said that it was hot to the touch (and it clearly was). I pulled the back and the battery to let it cool for about 30 minutes. After that, I tried to power it back on, but it was in a boot loop. I pulled the battery again, reinserted it and let it charge overnight. This morning she woke me to show me that her phone was at the OS download screen. She said that she had pressed Power and Home to boot it up and that it went to the OS download screen on its own. She denies having pressed VOL-Down (or VOL-Up) when she powered it on.

This was followed by it being an endless boot-loop. Anyway, after all this, I thought that I'd reflash the kernal and start over. However, after another battery pull, I can't get it to turn on. I swapped the battery in her S5 with a fully charged battery from our daughter's S5, but wife's S5 still wouldn't power on. I tried wife's battery (strangely only 52% charged after being on charger all night) in daughter's phone and it booted right up. So... battery is not the issue. Further troubleshooting this morning, I tried the three-button-salute (holding power, VOL-Down and Home button) until I thought I'd need finger surgery, but nothing. I installed Odin and connected wife's phone to my PC. For an instant Odin seemed to recognize the device, then nothing. Subsequent restarts of Odin never recognize that there's a phone connected. I installed KIES, but it doesn't see anything connected. My PC's USB "safe eject" thingy does not see a device connected.

Her phone seems (to me) well and truly dead. I'm out of ideas for troubleshooting (much less fixing) this device. Any suggestions before we have a memorial service and bury it in the backyard?


from xda-developers http://ift.tt/1UA7swk
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment